I was in a bit of a bind the other night for supper. Because I have a big daycare crew for lunch and my husband is working many week-nights through the summer, I tend to make my ‘larger’ meals for lunch rather than supper. Couple that with the fact that I grocery shop monthly (this coming Monday being grocery day = bare cupboards) AND the fact that the husband was home with us so PB&J just wouldn’t do, I was in a bind to say the least. So, I started searching and came up with frozen chicken breasts, crescent rolls, cheese and various condiments.
Hmmm… buffalo chicken pizza sticks were born.
I rolled out the crescent rolls repairing the seams the best I could and baked it for about 5-8 minutes at the temp specified on the can, 375 I believe. Then I spread some ranch dressing over it like I would pizza sauce (a little less), topped it with shredded cooked chicken I had mixed with wing sauce, shredded cheddar jack cheese and baked it for about 8-10 more minutes. Because it was in a rectangle I opted to cut it into strips so they were easy to handle for the kids.
While I would probably use a pizza dough in the future the crescent rolls did the job in a bind and actually gave it a light consistency. Everyone loved them! This would definitely be a super quick supper had the chicken been cooked, or even thawed. Because I had to do those things on the spot, it took a little longer. This would be a great use of leftover chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken. The best part is that you make it to your taste. If you like a lot of ranch, go for it. If you don’t like a lot of wing sauce, it’s your call. If you’re a ‘go big or go home’ type, knock yourself out! We went ‘light’ on both parts and it was great but do what you like and I’m sure you’ll love it! This one was even good as ‘leftovers.’
Buffalo Chicken Pizza Sticks
2 Packs of Crescent Rolls
Shredded Cooked Chicken (about 2 chicken breasts)
Buffalo Wing Sauce (to taste, about 1/4 cup)
Ranch Dressing (to taste, 1/8 – 1/4 cup)
Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese (to taste, 1-2 cups)
1. Add desired amount of wing sauce to shredded cooked chicken and set aside.
2. Roll out crescent rolls repairing seams as much as possible, if you’re using a pizza crust skip this part.
3. Bake 5-8 minutes (until puffy) at the temperature on the can, 375 I believe.
4. Pull from oven and spread desired amount of ranch dressing over baked dough leaving a bit of ‘crust’ all the way around.
5. Spread chicken/sauce mixture over dressing and top with desired amount of cheese.
6. Bake 8-10 minutes more, until cheese is melted and crust is lightly brown.
7. Slice into strips and enjoy!!
Happy Hump Day!!